1. You create your own truth. State what the reality is. “You are wrong about attrition.”
2. Friends can kill you. Choose them carefully, and don’t regard them as permanent.
3. Behaviors are consistent. Always act correctly, not just “when it matters.”
4. “Someday” is not a day of the week.
5. Drive-by learning doesn’t work. Appearing somewhere once a year with a bundle of news or two dozen posts and then leaving again isn’t impressive.
6. If you really want to learn, try coaching someone else.
7. IP is silent without the amplification of leverage. How can you expand your visibility and reach?
8. The deeper you go, the slower it gets. Hawks are faster than moles.
9. The hotel doorman is the key. What is the first and last impression people have of you?
10. Don’t ask “how,” ask for critique. Tell me how you’d do it, don’t ask me how I’d do it.
11. Invest in yourself first. If you can’t do that, don’t expect dividends.
12. Do it without preparation. Experts are easily extemporaneous.
13. Look around in awareness. Don’t look back in nostalgia or ahead in fear.
© Alan Weiss 2014