We’ve all been exposed to what I call Client Service 101, an amateurish training provided by inexpensive firms to equip phone representatives to better deal with outraged customers, that outrage being caused by deficient products, services, and/or delivery procedures.
It goes like this:
• I know how frustrated you must feel.
• This must be very difficult for you.
• I’ve experienced this in my dealings with companies myself.
• I don’t blame you for being so upset.
It’s like a Samaritans’ suicide prevention hot line.
Here’s what I advise for Client Service 601, the graduate program I’ve created:
• Let me see how I can immediately help you and correct this.
• What would make you happy right now and demonstrate that we want to help?
• Would it be acceptable if we sent a replacement to arrive in 48 hours?
• I can process a refund immediately if you prefer.
Is that so hard? One unhappy customer produces on average 24 negative mentions or referrals.
I know how frustrated you must feel by that.
© Alan Weiss 2017