The Fallacy of the Second Meeting

In successful projects I’ve had among the Fortune 1000, I estimate that I was able to get approval for the buyer to receive my proposal by the end of the first meeting about 85% or more of the time, The other 15% required a second meeting. I can’t recall an instance of going to a third meeting for a successful project acceptance.

When a true buyer puts you off, reschedules, or asks for more time, it’s tantamount to a “no.” Don’t pat yourself on the back that you have a second meeting, don’t spend the money, and don’t be surprised if that second meeting is cancelled or further delayed.

Create the right metric. When you can’t reach conceptual agreement in an hour with an economic buyer, it’s likely that you haven’t achieved trust, period.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.