Small Minds

In the latest Balancing Act Newsletter I talked about the current trend in colleges to avoid “micro-aggressions” which are defined by the administration as acts such as saying “you guys” or asking an Asian student you don’t know for help with a math assignment.

I mentioned how crazy this can become with this example:

“At what point do silly grievances, trivial in their nature, become escalated to ‘micro-aggression’ or perhaps worse, to bias claims? After a presentation, I was approached by one woman who told me my speech was wonderfully gender-neutral because I used “he” and “she” equally. (She was a pronoun counter.) Five minutes later, another woman told me I exhibited gender bias because I provided longer answers to men than to women. (She was a timer.)”

Sure enough, a woman writes to me that she has read Balancing Act and enjoyed it for a long time, but now must inform me she is unsubscribing (to a FREE newsletter) because I don’t appreciate the issue of sexual harassment. She apparently can’t handle varied viewpoints, and only sees things through her own narrow agenda.

That’s a micro-aggression on intellect.

© Alan Weiss 2016

3 thoughts on “Small Minds

  1. As you would say: “You can’t make this stuff up.”

    I applaud you for not giving in to this nonsense. Political correctness, when taken to the extremes discussed in your examples, is not just annoying but outright dangerous. Steve Hughes calls this kind of stuff “intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime.” I agree with him.

  2. I wish more people could accept both the “80/20 rule” concept and the value of occasionally being forced to think about something with which they don’t at first agree. The harassment woman is one.

    You are one of the people I follow who generally writes/says things I find useful. ~15% of your output I think is wrong, but so what? The other 85% has value to me, putting me ahead of where I was. And because much of what you say does have use to it, I must consider why I think the other 15% wrong.

    It’s a very useful dynamic for me. I wish more would see it that way, but I’m ok with them limiting themselves foolishly.

    Keep up your great work!

  3. That’s very kind of you. I don’t write to be liked or agreed with, but to provoke thought. People who flee from opinions they don’t like are weaklings, and those who unsubscribe from a free newsletter are just pathetic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 − 12 =


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.