I’ve been consulting for quite a while and coaching consultants for quite a while. I try to learn along the way, daily. Yet, despite changing times and volatility, I find that there are 11 issues which constitute well over 90% of the issues with which I’ve had to contend. That’s why, despite the type of client or market, size or revenues, I can quickly hone in on the crux of the issue.
In no special order, those 11 issues are:
- Confusing the strategic with the tactical.
- Confusing cause and effect.
- Trying to find blame instead of cause.
- Failing to look and manage risk in decision making.
- Failing to create both preventive and contingent actions in decisions.
- Confusing planning with strategy.
- Failing to fire people who deserve to be fired.
- Seeking consensus instead of creating strong direction.
- Understanding the roles of both compliance and commitment.
- Responding to customer “wants” instead of identifying true needs.
- Using others’ (and the wrong) metrics.
You don’t need 300 people or a three-month study to analyze which of these are at work and fix them.