Here’s what happens when you try not to lose:
• You readily make concessions.
• You are not bold or provocative.
• You become highly conservative.
• You accept unfair treatment and conditions.
• You become nervous and therefore that much more ineffective.
Here’s what happens when you try to win:
• You are assertive and take prudent risk.
• You state your position and support it.
• You will make reasonable but not unfair compromise.
• You will stress your value and contribution.
• You will walk away if you don’t like the conditions, which will actually improve your position.
The choice is yours.